Basic Information about Flovent Inhaler
Flovent HFA (fluticasone) is an inhaled steroid medication mainly used to prevent asthma attacks. To ensure ease of use, Flovent comes in the form of a metered dose inhaler. Flovent is intended for patients at least 4 years old. When you buy Flovent online note that this drug does not work immediately - corticosteroid medications should not be used to stop an imminent asthma attack as they will only prevent such an attack from happening in the future. When used, these medications will gradually reduce the inflammation of airway walls caused by asthma, lowering the risk of an asthma attack. As you may know, an asthma attack happens when the person affected by asthma inhales a particular irritant such as cold air, smoke or dust, resulting in a sudden tightening of the airway walls and secretion of mucus which makes breathing very difficult. By reducing the overall irritability and inflammation of the airway tissues, taking Flovent will ensure that when an irritant is inhaled, the reaction will not be as severe and the patient will be able to breathe normally and recover faster.
Recommended Dosage of Flovent
The appropriate dosage of Flovent varies depending on several factors, including your age, severity of your condition (in this case, asthma), and other asthma medications you are currently taking or were taking until recently. Depending on these factors, there are different amounts of Flovent that should be taken.
1. To prevent asthma in children 4 to 12 years old, the recommended dosage is 2 inhalations twice a day (4 inhalations total).
2. For adults and adolescents over 12 years of age taking only bronchodilators, the recommended starting dose is 2 inhalations twice a day (4 total), further increased up to 5 inhalations twice a day (10 total) depending on the severity of your condition and response to the treatment.
3. For patients within the same age group taking another inhaled steroid, the recommended starting dose is 2 inhalations twice a day. The maximum dose is a total of 5 inhalations per day.
Every Flovent inhaler contains 120 metered inhalation doses and has a build-in counter to help keep track of how many doses remain. The counter starts at 120, and will count down 0 at which point it may no longer be used. Remember to replace your inhaler promptly before the previous one runs out of medication. If you buy Flovent online it may be wise purchase several inhalers at once to avoid waiting for the order to arrive when it will be needed again.
Flovent delivers its effects over extended periods of time, which is why it should not be used to stop a sudden asthma attack or bronchospasm. Use it exactly as directed by your doctor for the treatment to be effective.
To properly use Flovent metered dose asthma inhalers (MDIs), the patient is required to thoroughly follow a set list of instructions. These instructions are the same for most MDIs; you can learn more about them on our Inhaler Techniques page.
Important Safety Information about Flovent
Before staring the treatment with Flovent, you should contact your medical healthcare provided and discuss the details of the upcoming therapy, especially if you have any of the following conditions:
- Impaired liver function;
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis);
- Any type of infection (Tuberculosis, herpes, or any other);
- Any allergies including food, dye, or preservative allergies;
- Glaucoma or cataracts;
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.